Connect with tomorrow’s leaders
Future Housing Leaders (FHL) is a free, Fannie Mae-led recruiting service that helps companies create a more diverse workforce. Through intentional sourcing and recruiting, Future Housing Leaders provides companies in the housing industry with a pipeline of diverse college students to expose them to careers in housing. By partnering with Future Housing Leaders, housing industry employers have access to a talent network that can help companies fulfill their commitments to forging a more diverse and inclusive workforce.
Empowering positive change
Currently, less than 13% of jobs in the housing workforce include Black and Hispanic or Latino representation. According to statistics compiled by the Brookings Institute, as of 2019, White, Hispanic or Latino, and Asian American people currently represent 60.1%, 18.5%, 12.5%, and 5.9% of the U.S. population, respectively. In comparison, our industry is 71.6% White, while Hispanic or Latino, Black, and Asian American people represent 9.1%, 7.5%, and 9.4%, respectively.
Underrepresentation is a business risk because the company leaders need to make decisions that reflect the population they serve. Future Housing Leaders can change that by expanding recruiting efforts to target colleges and universities with a higher population of diverse students, including Black and Hispanic or Latino students, thereby sourcing a more diverse talent pipeline. In addition, Future Housing Leaders supports interns as they enter the housing industry. Together, we can help advance racial equity in the housing industry, improve access to affordable housing, and create career opportunities in housing.
Benefits for employers
Fannie Mae is committed to advancing systemic racial equity within the housing industry. To accomplish this, we created Future Housing Leaders as an intentional effort to help diversify a homogenous industry that historically and currently does not reflect the diversity of our nation or the population it serves.
Future Housing Leaders offers the following partnership opportunities:
- Intern sourcing — Future Housing Leaders will source students for your existing internship program through our free recruiting service.
- Full-time employee sourcing — Future Housing Leaders will source entry level talent for your full-time employee openings, associate programs, and training programs through our free recruiting service. Our target candidate has between 0 – 2 years of experience.
- Curriculum — Our free curriculum is available to your entire internship cohort and newly hired early career employees. Interns and newly hired employees do not need to be sourced from FHL. Our curriculum offers professional development, trainings, and certification opportunities provided by the Mortgage Bankers Association.
- Executive speaking engagements — Participate in our Housing Matters Speakers Series to promote your company brand and discuss career paths.
Follow these steps to partner with Future Housing Leaders:
- Step 1: Designate the best person within your organization to implement the program.
- Step 2. Connect with your Fannie Mae account team or Future Housing Leaders staff member.
- Step 3: Discuss your early career recruitment needs.
- Step 4: Complete the FHL recruitment packet
Access resources – like our Recruitment Packet and Letter to Interns– that can help your company leverage the benefits of Future Housing Leaders.